Tuesday, January 31, 2012

a terrible person

          A breeze carries leaves through the air and the cloud cover confuses the weather into thinking today should be cold. It really isn't that cold, but then again I am wearing a sweater. Sitting on the picnic table I try to rid myself of onion breathe with a crisp apple, I think it might be working. Watching people as they pass, I am at rest.
          A guy on his red bike. Looking closer, I see he is out of breathe, poor fellow! But wait, is that the same guy that nearly ran me over as I walked to my car at school? He zips down the hill and out of sight. Rising from that very spot I spot a dog walker. One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Five dogs. She has her ear buds in and is clearly unimpressed with the lush green of the valley below her and the swirl of leaves trying to keep pace with her and her pups.
          She is also completely unaware of the fact that Fido right there has got to go! He tries once and she yanks him along. He slows once more. Tug tug tug. He gives up comfort and takes care of business right there on the trail, tail up, while they walk. She carries on. The jogger coming straight for them is captivated by the view of the valley below, unaware of the trail and the surprises Fido and his walker have left for anyone; for the the jogger.
          For a second I consider calling out, telling Jogger to "look out!!". But instead I take another bite of my apple. The taste of sweet and bitter spice mixing for breathe I can only imagine will make a child flee from me at least twice this afternoon.

1 comment: